The fund was formed from the Waterloo Old Industrial School Fund and Hampshire Reformatory School Fund originally from 1920s, which amalgamated in 1978 to support children in care and care leavers in education.
- Awards will be made annually for those who have been in care with Hampshire County Council and are seeking further education
- A young person who has obtained the qualification needed to further their chosen career may also be eligible for financial assistance, where necessary, to find appropriate employment
Grants are available up to £500 – In exceptional circumstances the trustees may award a higher amount
- To support the development of young people under 25 years who are or have been in the care of Hampshire County Council. Consideration will be given to those who have been in the care system and can demonstrate they:
- Have a place on a course leading to a nationally recognised qualification relevant to their chosen career, or
- Have a place on a course that will lead to a specialism relevant to the chosen career or help gain entry to a course leading to a nationally recognised qualification, or
- Are finding it difficult to access other sources of funding for education or seeking employment, or have found funds but need a top-up to meet their needs, or
- Have uniform (clothing/shoes) or other costs (tool/special equipment) associated with the activity or course that need to be met
- To facilitate further education, higher education, internships, apprenticeships, employment and some extracurricular activities
- An offer of a place in education, training or employment should be held
- Driving lessons may be supported if the person has sufficient qualifications to obtain work and can demonstrate that the use of a vehicle is essential for that purpose
- Public transport costs may be supported if the person can demonstrate the purchase of a railcard or other subsidised travel scheme is necessary for their project/course.
- Persons who have NOT been in the care of Hampshire County Council.
- Those who have been resident in Hampshire and in the care of HCC but are now living elsewhere are eligible to apply.