The fund was formed from the Waterloo Old Industrial School Fund and Hampshire Reformatory School Fund originally from 1920s, which amalgamated in 1978 to support children in care and care leavers in education.
In exceptional circumstances an award of a higher amount may be offered. Applicants may only receive one grant per year.
- Individuals who are or have been in care with Hampshire County Council (HCC) and are seeking education.
- Individuals who have been resident in Hampshire and in the care of HCC but are now living elsewhere are eligible to apply.
- An offer of a place in education, training or employment should be held or on offer.
- To support the development of young people who are 18 to 25 years old. Consideration will be given to those who can demonstrate they are entering:
- Further Education (A Level and above), BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3), NVQ 3, Higher Education (Degree Level and above), HNC, HND, Internships, Apprenticeships, employment and associated extracurricular activities
- Have a place on a course leading to a nationally recognised qualification relevant to their chosen career
- Have a place on a course that will lead to a specialism relevant to the chosen career
- Equipment associated with activity or course
- Driving lessons may be supported if the person has sufficient qualifications to obtain work and can demonstrate that the use of a vehicle is essential for that purpose
- Persons who have NOT been in the care of Hampshire County Council
- International projects and travel
- National charities
- Any party political activity
- Commercial ventures
- Proselytising activities, ie active promotion of a specific religion or belief system
- Those who have been resident in Hampshire and in the care of HCC but are now living elsewhere are eligible to apply.