Administration of the Dayas Music Scholarships has been transferred from Hampshire County Council to the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Community Foundation (HIWCF).
In her will Mrs Hayton, nee Dayas, left a sum of money to be used to create a perpetual music scholarship, preferably but not necessarily for pianoforte.
Scholarships are to enable musicians to undertake studies or projects in connection with composition, conducting, instrumental performance, singing, music in education and musicology.
For an exceptional project showing imagination, innovation and enterprise may be offered a special additional award up to 2x the original award
- You must be over 18 years of age. There is No Upper age limit
- Those awarded scholarships may not apply for a further award for 5 years
- Scholarships are not available for the purchase of instruments or equipment
- The scholarship will entitle each holder to financial assistance up to 50% of the cost up to such maximum award as agreed during the year in which the award is granted. 50% may be varied in exceptional cases of hardship or special ability
- Scholarships may be available in connection with competitions of international standards
- A measure of priority will be given for pianoforte study
- Adults undertaking musical tuition, especially those providing a community benefit.
- Applications will not normally be accepted from those in full-time education and/or college education.
- Dayas Music scholarships are not available to subsidise FE or HE awards, but consideration may be given to an award on grounds of need
- Tuition costs for an individual which will allow them to progress their own music abilities, particularly if the tuition will also benefit a wider group, e.g. those performing in hospitals, schools or for other community events. Scholarships can cover tuition for playing an instrument, singing, conducting or composition.
- Scholarships can cover any genre of music but with a preference for piano if funds are oversubscribed.
- Expenses associated with an individual’s music project, e.g. making a recording, hire of a performance venue
- Individuals NOT resident in Hampshire including Portsmouth and Southampton.