Councillor Hugh Mason grew up in south-east London. He completed an MA at St John’s College Cambridge University, and a PhD at the University College of Swansea. He has worked at the University of Portsmouth since 1968 as a Lecturer, later Principal Lecturer, and is currently Associate Lecturer in economic geography.
Cllr Mason’s council roles have included:
- Chair of Southsea Town Council
- City Council – Executive Member for Education
- Executive Member for Culture and Leisure
- Executive Member for Housing
- Cabinet Member for Resources and Deputy Leader of the Council
He is married with four stepsons, and enjoys hill walking, travel, theatre, music, good beer and good company.