Councillor Hugh Mason was born on 10 August 1941 and grew up in south-east London. He completed an MA at St John’s College Cambridge University, and a PhD at the University College of Swansea.
He married Dinah Grace Akello in 1983 and has four stepsons.
Cllr Mason has worked at the University of Portsmouth (and its former names) since 1968 as a Lecturer, later Principal Lecturer, and is currently Associate Lecturer in economic geography.
He enjoys hill walking, travel, theatre, music, good beer and good company.
Cllr Mason’s council roles have included:
- Chair of Southsea Town Council 1999-2000 and 2001-2003
- City Council – Executive Member for Education 2006-2007
- Executive Member for Culture and Leisure 2007
- Executive Member for Housing 2007-2008
- Cabinet Member for Resources and Deputy Leader of Council 2008 to May 2014